- Home ›
- Quotes tagged “Writing Tips”
Quotes tagged “Writing Tips”
instead of thinking about the story,
become the story.”
Read like a surgeon. Read like a locksmith. Read like an ethical, non-plagiarizing but absorptive thief.”
The cool thing about keeping ongoing outlines and pieces in a notes app is you can add to them anywhere!! I got into the habit of making sure to write any new thought or addition as notes throughout my day, then when you sit down to Write, you already have so much to work with!
To me, the writing process is all about tricking myself out of having to look at a blank page — all that wandering around and writing notes and pieces on the go IS writing even though it doesn't feel like it. Then the Actual Writing isn't generating ideas from nothing, its building.”
The goal is to make it seem like the world is alive and exists with or without you. When it's used as a gate to insist that certain things couldn't happen, then it no longer serves a purpose for the story.”
Start with one word or one thought. Write it down. Is it the right word or thought? Is there a better word or thought? Get that *one single thing* right, then move onto the next.”
- No, you don't need to delete all the adverbs & adjectives.
- No, writers don't have to write every day.
- No, you don't have to plot the book before you start.
- Yes, tell your story in your voice.
- Yes, you got this.”
(1) Sit down and write the damn thing without complaining or worrying about tools.
(2) That’s it, just show up every day and make words.
(3) Seriously, nothing else matters.
(4) Go write.”